Third Judicial District announces Huerfano County Court vacancy
Commission sets date to select nominees
Deadline to Apply Aug. 3, 2016
The Third Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet at the Huerfano County Courthouse on Aug. 29, 2016, to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of county judge for Huerfano County. The vacancy will be created by the retirement of the Hon. Gary R. Stork. The vacancy will occur on Jan. 10, 2017.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a qualified elector of Huerfano County at the time of investiture and have graduated high school or attained the equivalent of a high school education as indicated by the Department of Education, based upon the record made on the General Education Development test. The annual salary for this position is $53,363, and it is a 35 percent position. The initial term of office of a county judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent county judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of four years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice William W. Hood III, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Bob Kreiman, 200 East First St., Room 304, Trinidad, CO 81082. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm
The original, signed application and an identical copy stored as a PDF must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Aug. 3, 2016. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4 p.m. July 27, 2016.
The members of the nominating commission for the Third Judicial District are: William Aaroe, R. Michael McMillan, Sisto Mazza and Pamela Nelson, all of Trinidad; John Galusha of Walsenburg; and Mary White of La Veta.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members:
- William Aaroe, 1617 Santa Fe Trail, Trinidad, CO 81082
- John Galusha, 123 W. 7th St., Walsenburg, CO 81089
- Sisto Mazza, 314 West Main St., Trinidad, CO 81082
- R. Michael McMillan, 2615 Desperado Dr., Trinidad, CO 81082
- Pamela Nelson, 305 W. Main St., Trinidad, CO 81082
- Mary White, P.O. Box 26, La Veta, CO 81055
There is currently one vacancy on this commission.
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
4. You may submit letters of reference from not less than three and no more than five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter, and it should be included as part of your electronic application as well. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted by the filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Third Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice William W. Hood III
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
If you are hand-delivering your application, please deliver it to the Clerk’s Office. We do not accept emails of any application materials.
If you use USPS Express Mail overnight service, please allow an extra day for delivery we there is a delay in receipt when this method is used.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4 p.m. on August 3, 2016.
7. Call Valerie in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5150