17th Judicial District announces District Court vacancy
Commission sets date to select nominees
The Seventeenth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Dec. 12, 2016, at the Adams County Justice Center to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of district judge for the Seventeenth Judicial District (Adams and Broomfield counties). The vacancy will be created by voters’ decision not to retain the Hon. Jill-Ellyn Straus. The vacancy will occur on Jan. 10, 2016.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the Seventeenth Judicial District at the time the application is submitted and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. The current annual salary for this position is $159,320. The initial term of office of a district judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Brian D. Boatright, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203, and the office of the district administrator, Benjamin Stough, 1100 Judicial Center Dr., Brighton, CO 80601. Applications are also available on the court’s home page at:
The original, signed application and an identical copy stored as a PDF must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Nov. 29, 2016. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than Nov. 22, 2016.
The members of the nominating commission for the Seventeenth Judicial District are: Margaret Burd of Thornton; Daniel Carr, Jennifer Chavez, Joann Dawe, and Patricia Jarzobski of Westminster; Christina Gomez of Commerce City; and Linda Rodriguez of Broomfield.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members:
Margaret Burd, 12050 N. Pecos St., Westminster, CO 80234
Daniel Carr, 455 Sherman St., Suite 300, Denver, CO 80203
Jennifer Chavez, 1800 Larimer St., Suite 1700, Denver, CO 80202
Joann Dawe, 1200 S. Sunset St., Longmont, CO 80501
Christina Gomez, 555 17th St., Suite 3200, Denver, CO 80202
- Patricia Jarzobski, 2300 15th St., Suite 200, Denver, CO 80202
- Linda Rodriguez, 1617 Daphne St., Broomfield, CO 80020
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. YYou should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application..
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last
4. You may submit letters of reference of not less than three and not more than five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and also include it as part of your electronic application. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to us by the application filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Seventeenth Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Brian D. Boatright
Supreme Court Clerk's Office
2 E. 14th Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
If you are hand-delivering your application, please deliver it to the Clerk’s Office.
We do not accept emails of any application materials.
Your application must be filed no later than: 4 p.m. on Nov. 29, 2016.
6. If you use USPS Express Mail overnight service, please allow an extra day for delivery we there is a delay in receipt when this method is used.
7. Call Cheryl in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s Office with questions: 720-625-5152.