20th Judicial District announces Boulder County Court vacancy
Commission sets date to select nominees
The Twentieth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Aug. 31, 2016, at the
Boulder County Combined Court to interview and select nominees for appointment by the
governor to the office of county judge for Boulder County. The vacancy will be created by the
retirement of the Honorable John F. Stavely. The vacancy will occur on Jan. 10, 2017.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a qualified elector of Boulder County at the time of
investiture and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. The
current annual salary for this position is $152,466. The initial term of office of a county judge is
a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent county judge, if approved by the
voters, has a term of four years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Monica M. Márquez, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Amy Waddle, 1777 6th St., Boulder, CO 80302. Applications also are
available on the court’s home page at
The original, signed application and an identical copy stored as a PDF must be filed with
the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Aug. 12, 2016. Late applications will not be considered.
Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted
news Colorado Judicial Department Nancy E. Rice, Chief Justice Gerald Marroney, State Court Administrator
to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than
Aug. 5, 2016.
The members of the nominating commission for the Twentieth Judicial District are:
Karla Rikansrud, Benita Duran, and May Friedrichs of Boulder; Joel Champion of Longmont;
Jodi Martin and Josh Marks of Louisville; and Michael Beylkin of Erie.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members:
Michael Beylkin, 1888 Sherman St., Suite 370, Denver, CO 80203
Rex (Joel) Champion, 1733 Preston Dr., Longmont, CO 80504
Benita Duran, 541 Iris Ave., Boulder, CO 80304
Mary Friedrichs, 787 Meadow Glen Dr., Boulder, CO 80303
Josh Marks, 1712 Pearl St., Boulder, CO 80302
Jodi Martin, 1526 Spruce St., Suite 102, Boulder, CO 80302
Karla Rikansrud, 630 Streamside Lane, Boulder, CO 80302
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
4. You may submit letters of reference from not less than three and no more than five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and also include it as part of your electronic application. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Twentieth Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Monica M. Márquez
Colorado Supreme Court
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
If you are hand-delivering your application, please deliver it to the Clerk’s Office. We do not accept emails of any application materials.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4:00 p.m., Aug. 12, 2016.
7. If you use USPS Express Mail overnight service, please allow an extra day for delivery we there is a delay in receipt when this method is used.
8. Call Valerie in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5157.