Ninth Judicial District announces District Court vacancy
Commission sets date to select nominees
The Ninth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Sept. 21, 2016, at the
Garfield County Courthouse to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor
to the office of district judge for the Ninth Judicial District (Garfield, Pitkin and Rio Blanco
counties). The vacancy will be created by the retirement of the Honorable Daniel B. Petre. The
vacancy will occur on Oct. 1, 2016.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the Ninth Judicial District at
the time of investiture and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five
years. The current salary for this position is $159,320. The initial term of office of a district
judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if approved by
the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Allison H. Eid, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Lynn Reed, 109 8th St., Glenwood Springs, CO 81601. Applications also
are available on the court’s home page at
The original, signed application and an identical copy stored as a PDF must be filed with
the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Aug. 31, 2016. Late applications will not be considered.
news Colorado Judicial Department Nancy E. Rice, Chief Justice Gerald Marroney, State Court Administrator
Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted
to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than
Aug. 24, 2016.
The members of the nominating commission for the Ninth Judicial District are: Julie
Goldstein and David Fiore of Basalt; Sharon Day of Meeker; Scott Grosscup of Glenwood
Springs; Matthew Ferguson of Snowmass Village; Ronald Erickson of Aspen; and Andrea Bryan
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members:
Andrea Bryan, 506 E. Main St., Suite 101, Aspen, CO 81611
Sharon Day, P.O. Box 1137, Meeker, CO 81641
Ronald Erickson, 600 E. Hopkins Ave., #203, Aspen, CO 81611
Matthew Ferguson, 119 S. Spring St., Suite 201, Aspen, CO 81611
David Fiore, P.O. Box 3753, Eagle, CO 81631
Julie Goldstein, P.O. Box 4227, Basalt, CO 81621
Scott Grosscup, 818 Colorado Ave., Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
4. You may submit letters of reference from not less than three and no more than five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and also include it as part of your electronic application. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Ninth Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Allison H. Eid
Supreme Court Clerk’s Office
2 E. 14th Avenue
Denver, Colorado 80203
If you are hand-delivering your application, please deliver it to the Clerk’s Office. We do not accept emails of any application materials.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4 p.m. on August 31, 2016.
7. If you use USPS Express Mail overnight service, please allow an extra day for delivery we there is a delay in receipt when this method is used.
8. Call Valerie in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5157.