Eighth Judicial District announces District Court vacancies
Commission sets date to select nominees
The Eighth Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Aug. 26, 2016, at the
Larimer County Justice Center to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor
to the office of district judge for the Eighth Judicial District (Jackson and Larimer counties).
Two judicial vacancies will be created by the retirements of the Honorable Stephen J.
Schapanski and the Honorable Daniel J. Kaup. Both vacancies will occur on Jan. 10, 2017.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the Eighth Judicial District at
the time of investiture and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five
years. The current annual salary for these positions is $159,320. The initial term of office of a
district judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if
approved by the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Richard L. Gabriel, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the
district administrator, Janelle Brunin, 201 LaPorte Ave., Suite 100, Fort Collins, CO 80521.
Applications also are available on the court’s home page at
The original, signed application and an identical copy stored as a PDF must be filed with
the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Aug. 4, 2016. Late applications will not be considered.
Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted
to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than 4
p.m. July 28, 2016.
The members of the nominating commission for the Eighth Judicial District are: Michael
Blanton of Walden; Kermit Allard, Richard Gast, Michael Liggett, Thomas Milligan, and Tracy
Oldemeyer, all of Ft. Collins; and Katherine Corey of Johnstown.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members:
Kermit Allard, 1321 Oakridge Drive, Ft. Collins, CO 80525
Michael Blanton, P.O. Box 870, Walden, CO 80480
Katherine Corey, 3760 Cedarwood Lane, Johnstown, CO 80534
Richard Gast, 323 S. College, Suite 1, Ft. Collins, CO 80524
Michael Liggett, 425 W. Mulberry, Suite 112, Ft. Collins, CO 80521
Thomas Milligan, 1403 Ripple Ct., Ft. Collins, CO 80521
Tracy Oldemeyer, 330 S. College Ave., Suite 300, Ft. Collins, CO 80424-7163
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
4. You may submit letters of reference from not less than three and no more than five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and also include it as part of your electronic application. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Eighth Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Richard L. Gabriel
Colorado Supreme Court
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
If you are hand-delivering your application, please deliver it to the Clerk’s Office. We do not accept emails of any application materials.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4:00 p.m., Aug. 4, 2016.
7. If you use USPS Express Mail overnight service, please allow an extra day for delivery we there is a delay in receipt when this method is used.
8. Call Valerie in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5157.