21st Judicial District announces District Court vacancy
Commission sets date to select nominees
The Twenty-first Judicial District Nominating Commission will meet Oct. 17, 2016, at the Mesa County Justice Center to interview and select nominees for appointment by the governor to the office of district judge for the Twenty-first Judicial District (Mesa County). The vacancy will be created by the retirement of the Honorable Thomas M. Deister. The vacancy will occur on Jan. 1, 2017.
To be eligible, the applicant must be a qualified elector of the Twenty-first Judicial District at the time of investiture and must have been admitted to the practice of law in Colorado for five years. The current annual salary for this position is $159,320. The initial term of office of a district judge is a provisional term of two years; thereafter, the incumbent district judge, if approved by the voters, has a term of six years.
Application forms are available from the office of the ex officio chair of the nominating commission, Justice Monica M. Márquez, 2 E. 14th Ave., Denver, CO 80203; and the office of the district administrator, Sandra Casselberry, 125 N. Spruce, Grand Junction, CO 81502. Applications also are available on the court’s home page at
The original, signed application and an identical copy stored as a PDF must be filed with the ex officio chair no later than 4 p.m. Sept. 26, 2016. Late applications will not be considered. Any person wishing to suggest a candidate to fill the vacancy may do so by letter to be submitted to any member of the nominating commission, with a copy to the ex officio chair, no later than Sept. 19, 2016.
The members of the nominating commission for the Twenty-first Judicial District are: Catherine Green, B. Jean Sewell, Ivan Geer, Eric Sandstrom, Scott Burrill, Amy Hand, Martha Kent, and Lesley McWhirter, all of Grand Junction.
Editor’s Note: Contact information for the nominating commission members:
Scott Burrill, 114 N. Spruce St., Suite 300, Grand Junction, CO 81502
Ivan Geer, 2311 River Rd., Grand Junction, CO 81505
Lesley McWhirter, 445 W. Gunnison Ave., Suite 221, Grand Junction, CO 81507
Amy Hand, 725 Rood Ave., Grand Junction, CO 81501
Martha Kent, 446 Main St., Grand Junction, CO 81501
Eric Sandstrom, P.O. Box 1868, Grand Junction, CO 81502
B. Jean Sewell, 884 Quail Run Dr., Grand Junction, CO 80501
JUDICIAL NOMINATING COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR COLORADO STATE COURT JUDGESHIP
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The application form for a Colorado state court judgeship can be found on the Judicial Branch website at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Careers/Judge.cfm. You should only use the application that says it was updated 04/09. Do not use a prior version of the application. Please be complete and thorough in answering the questions; and, if an answer to any question requires more space than provided, attach a separate sheet of paper for each question.
2. Do not change the margins or font size on the application.
3. You must submit one original signed application along with an identical copy of your application electronically as a PDF file (preferably in text searchable format) on a CD or flash drive (these will not be returned). The electronic application does not need to contain a signature. If your application materials include multiple documents (i.e., cover letter, personal statement, reference letters) these documents should be combined into one single PDF document with the reference letters attached last.
4. You may submit letters of reference from not less than three and no more than five individuals who are in a position to comment upon your qualifications for a judicial position. You may include the reference letters with your application or have them sent directly to us at the address below. If sent directly by the author, they need only send us one original letter (in paper). If you include them with your application materials, please submit the original paper letter and also include it as part of your electronic application. It is your responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted to the by the filing deadline.
5. Submit your original signed application along with the electronic copy to the following address:
Twenty-first Judicial District Nominating Commission
c/o Justice Monica M. Márquez
Colorado Supreme Court
2 E. 14th Avenue, Clerk’s Office
Denver, Colorado 80203
If you are hand-delivering your application, please deliver it to the Clerk’s Office. We do not accept emails of any application materials.
6. Your application must be filed no later than: 4:00 p.m., September 26, 2016
7. If you use USPS Express Mail overnight service, please allow an extra day for delivery we there is a delay in receipt when this method is used.
8. Call Valerie in the Colorado Supreme Court Clerk’s office with questions: 720-625-5157.